DEI - Additional Resources
Recommended Books for Children, Grades K-5:
1. We Are Water Protectors by Carole Lindstrom. Illustrated by Michaela Goade.
2. Eyes That Kiss In The Corners by Joanna Ho. Illustrated by Dung Ho.
3. Drawn Together by Minh Le. Illustrated by Dan Santat.
4. Aru Shah and the End of Time (4-5th grade) by Roshani Chokshi.
5. Hicotea: A Nightlights Story by Lorena Alvarez.
6. The Day You Begin (K-3rd Grade) by Jacqueline Woodson. Illustrated by Rafael López.
7. Shaped By Her Hands (K-3rd Grade) by Anna Harber Freeman & Barbara Gonzales. Illustrated by Aphelandra.
8. Mufaro's Beautiful Daughters (K-3rd Grade) by John Steptoe.
9. The Girl With a Mind for Math: The Story of Raye Montague (Grade 2 - Grade 5) by Julia Finley Mosca. Illustrated by Daniel Rieley.
10. Whoosh!: Lonnie Johnson's Super-Soaking Stream of Inventions (Grade 2 - Grade 5) by Chris Barton.
11. Your Name is a Song by Jamilah Thomkins Bigelow. Illustrated by Luisa Uribe.
12. The Name Jar by Yangsook Choi.
Eric Carle Museum of Picture Book Art, Exhibit curated by Grace Lin
Willard has partnered with Lee & Low Books and they have a wonderful series for young readers, check them out here: https://www.leeandlow.com/contact.
What have your children read recently that gave you an a-ha moment or that got your child thinking? We'd love to hear about it!
Want to learn more or looking for resources?
See them here:
AAPI Letter 3.24.21
Other Resources: Travell DEI Committee Tab - Check out their Black American Historical Contribution Slides!
Did you know that our Ridgewood Library has a section for Social Justice? Check it out here: